Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A love-hate relationship


Today was a very busy day, lots of work but I also had the opportunity to discuss religion with a very learned person. I complained to him "I just recently read this book about a religion and am appalled by the so called prophet who had all these wives, some as young as 13. He forced these women into 'holy' matrimony, how can so many people respect him? Beats me." As I uttered these sentences, the person who came to my mind was Lord Krishna! Lord Krishna did almost everything this prophet did, and yet, those actions never seemed blasphemous to me. But today, I question my religion, the religion I have been so fond of, the religion I knew had shortcomings, but I also thought possessed some redeeming qualities. But after this 2 hour discussion and reading some excerpts from Manusmriti, I must say, I am a bit ashamed. I definitely disagree with many of Hinduism's principles. If Hinduism procalims that all men are not equal, I don't need Hinduism anymore, if it has the audacity to state that God willed it that way, and if God indeed did, I am not sure I want that God either. I'd rather sin and not go to heaven then ill-treat fellow humans in the name of the almighty. Makes me wonder, how can we be so sure that these Gods we pray to, if they did exist, were indeed good beings?? Reading the satanic verses does make me wonder.

4 comments:

sciencebird said...

I don't think the words of prophets or disciples should be confused with the words of god/s. All the gospels in the New Testament were written by men quoting Jesus, and many contradict each other. To me, these texts are meant to be read for their wisdom, but not their details. In the words of Buddha, "when you yourself directly know, this is unwholesome, this is blameworthy, this is condemned or censured by the wise, these things when accepted and practised lead to poverty and harm and suffering,then you should give them up. When you yourself directly know, these things are wholesome, blameless, praised by the wise; when adopted and carried out they lead to well-being, prosperity and happiness, then you should accept and practise them."
http://oaks.nvg.org/kalama.html

Anonymous said...

How can I find wisdom in something whose details I don't agree with? For example, if I don't agree with some racist statements in a sacred text, how can I think of it as being written by a wise person?

sciencebird said...

Even an unwise person may say some truths that you agree with, so you may not want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Anonymous said...

It is easy for a scientist to fall into the trap of believing in facts. These are metaphysical books, which are written by your very own ancestors. They have thought enough and deeply and well-meaning books.

However the same information can be understood in different ways - that is language for you!

Krishna - Radha story or Krishna - Gopi story may seem blasphemous or derogatory to condition of women or social norms to you, but If I say that this meant the love between nerves in the body for Divine Love to flow in them so as to experience a state of bliss - you would feel more awe than contempt.

We can choose to be sexist and have an opinion of our own - but it is another thing to actually read the script in depth, see what are different people's views on it, and form a personal view - which you believe in.

And Hinduism is not to be blamed for the sins committed by followers of Hinduism. The blindness of one does not eliminate the Brightness in Essence. Look beyond religion - look at God. He is good, divine and the most just. Develop the eye to look at him and he will appeal to you in all the religious texts - be it Gita, Kuran or Gurbani.